Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Freeze-dried books and chocolate chip bagels

I like working at a college in the summer. Free pastries and no one's eating them but me. Why does low-fat cream cheese look like slick sour cream?

My boss is reading about an old case where one state judge in California was going to shoot another judge (in a courtroom) and was shot down by a federal marshall who thereby precipitated all sorts of state vs. federal arguments. Her favorite part is the woman who carried a gun to court every day in her purse and would stand up occasionally and say "I'm going to kill you! You know I'm going to kill you!" and no one seemed to care.

I, meanwhile, am throwing away printed out e-mails from ten years ago requesting more paper in the copy center. At this rate I'll get the whole filing system in "my office" down to two drawers instead of twelve.

Did you know that some people freeze-dry books? Midwest Freeze-Dry Ltd. can rescue books "dating to the 16th century, captain's logs from sunken ships, and insect-infested artifacts of wood and leather"

No comments: